Sailesh's blog

I have finally decided to join the blogsphere and publish my thoughts to the world.. Lets see if anyone is listening..

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Play Pump

Today I watched an amazing episode of PBS Frontline World. Thank you PBS for bringing this amazing quality programming. Among the episodes stories, the one that appealed to me most being engineer myself was the Play Pump.

Trevor Field, a retired advertising executive came up with this amazingly simple idea for helping thousands of african women solve a very important problem: How to get clean water? And he did this with such a simple yet efficient solution: harness the power of children at play. He designed the play pump. This is basically a pump built into a children's merry-go-round. When the children play with the merry-go-round, they actually are causing a pump to work to pull water from bore well and store it in an overhead tank. Check out the full story at the above included link.

I just love such cool engineering solution to some of the world's pressing problems...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home